Sunday 6 January 2013

Spinach Dip

A very popular dish with my family. When I bake it and serve it I think it literally takes my family 7 minutes to totally clean out the dish.
First time I tried spinach dip was at a restaurant, and I fell in love. Now you go and every restaurant finds the need to complicate the dips by adding artichokes, goat cheese and stuff. I prefer my spinach dip just simple.

So for this dip you will need:

- 1 brick of cream cheese
- Mayonnaise (I usually squeeze enough to cover the entire top of the cream cheese brick)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 pkage frozen chopped spinach
- 1 diced pepper (red, yellow or orange) -- even add a bit of all three for some beautiful colour
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese grated



Turn oven on and to bake at 350.
Mix together with a hand blender the cream cheese and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl. 
Take the frozen spinach and thaw in a strainer under hot water, once thawed using a paper towel squeeze ALL excess water out of the spinach. With watery spinach the dip becomes watery too.
With a spoon mix in the sour cream, spinach, pepper and onion. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix. Add a handful of Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese and mix in. 
Put into a baking dish (that you'll also serve it in) and on top sprinkle the rest of the cheeses so that the top is lightly covered.
Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350, or just until the cheese melts (do not let it turn any kind of brown)

Serve with pita bread.
Wedge the pita and drizzle with olive oil, bake for 5-10 minutes at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment